We the students of the Lower Merion School District are committed to establishing an ongoing and mutually beneficial relationship with fellow-students across City Line. We understand that the oppressive conditions under which they must pursue their education are in direct contrast to the superior and safe environment provided to us. We also understand that these disparities are deliberately enforced by a socio-political system that is designed to prevent us from standing in solidarity together against the widespread injustices that are endemic to our communities, our city, and our country.
March with us from Cynwyd Station Park in Bala Cynwyd to Tustin Playground in Overbrook on August 30th to show your support of our nation of public school students, regardless of economic or geographic background. Stand against racial injustice in public school funding and against the effects of redlining that are still being felt by our students today.
Voices from our larger Philadelphia community will speak at both Cynwyd Station Park, where the march starts, and Tustin Playground, where the march will end. Please wear a mask and take other Covid-19 precautions as necessary.
We are accepting donations from local businesses for snacks, water, masks, hand sanitizer, and other resources. DM us to ask about a possible donation and representation for your business at the march!
- SAUDIA DURANT, organizer at Philly Student Union and a Temple University Journalism graduate
- NORA CHRISTMAN, educator at Lower Merion High School
- KAYLA TRIMBLE, from the Philly Liberation Center
- KEZIAH RIDGEWAY, educator at Northeast High School and organizing member of the Melanated Educators Collective
- NASIR BELL, organiser at I Will Breathe
- KENDRA BROOKS, Philadelphia Councilmember
- +others to be announced soon!
STUDENT ORGANIZING TEAM INCLUDES:
- Kisara Freeman
- Caitlin McGinty
- Megan & Michaela Craig